YOUNG LEADERS COMMITTEE
Adding a fresh perspective to Club operations
Chartered as a development board for the Boys & Girls Club in 2011, the Young Leaders Committee (YLC) was established with the following vision and mission in mind:
The Young Leaders Committee (YLC) seeks to broaden the reach of the Boys and Girls Club of Truckee Meadows (BGCTM) Board by engaging young professionals and promoting the growth and development of the Boys & Girls Club in Northern Nevada. While directly serving our community through the BGCTM, the YLC is developing the next generation of community leaders by creating an atmosphere that encourages personal growth and professional development of YLC members, identifying other young professionals who are passionate about supporting local nonprofit organizations, and encouraging engagement with the community through volunteerism.
The YLC is a team of passionate young professionals who, through regular service with the BGCTM, seek to lead by example, inspiring other young professionals to engage with and positively impact their community through volunteerism.
Character & Leadership– All YLC members must be committed to contributing their time, treasure and talent; members of this group must be actively engaged. We expect that each YLC member be a leader as his or her own talents afford and strive to learn and grow while encouraging the growth and development of all other YLC members.
Passion– YLC members must be passionate about playing an active role in their community. Although the benefits of YLC membership are many, those benefits are the indirect result of the YLC’s efforts to actively serve and positively impact the lives of others in the community.
Attitude – Volunteering, and the projects we take on in that capacity, must be something all YLC members enjoy; we recognize that there will be challenges, but with flexibility, determination and understanding, we can make a positive impact. Just as we enjoy a good laugh or time spent together, we also enjoy a good challenge.
Teamwork– All YLC members must communicate with each other and the leadership of the BGCTM respectfully and honestly. Feedback, both positive and negative, is essential for the growth and development of the YLC and its members. We recognize that this committee is intended to be a learning experience, which requires us to identify bright spots and areas needing improvement.
Some of the Boys and Girls Club Events YLC supports:
- Jack T. Reviglio Cioppino Feed & Auction: Northern Nevada’s premiere fundraising event is held the last Saturday in February. During this event, 1,600 friends of the Club enjoy an evening of socializing, a lively silent and live auction, and of course our famous cioppino. Volunteers do everything from managing the hundreds of auction items, to checking guests in.
- Boys & Girls Nite Out: The Club is all about fun, and during Nite Out there is no shortage. Each May we turn our Donald W. Reynolds facility into a carnival, complete with booth games and circus performers. Volunteers are paired with Club members to take in the excitement, win tickets to redeem for prizes and enjoy the show.
- Barrels & Bites benefiting the Boys & Girls Club of Truckee Meadows: Raise a glass in November, sampling from some of the world’s finest wines paired with chef-inspired foods during Barrels & Bites. Hundreds of wineries, distilleries and breweries are brought together by Club supporter Southern Wine and Spirits, with proceeds from the event underwriting Club operations. Volunteers pour wines, usher guests and run the auction.
- Day for Kids: Family is one of the cornerstones for building great futures for children, so each year we present and event that is all about adults and kids spending quality time together. We take over the Reno High School Football field, bring in bounce houses, games, and community partners, while at the same time serving nearly a thousand meals free (and about the same number of ice cream cones!). Volunteers man the booths, run the games and serve food during this September event.
- Adopt a Family during the holidays: What started as a simple project to help bring Christmas to families in need has evolved into a huge part of our annual giving program. Last year, with the help of our generous member families and supporters, we made Christmas happen for nearly 200 local families – presents for everyone, food, a tree … everything. Volunteers help us wrap presents, transport and coordinate logistics.
- Mentoring/ Coaching at the Club: The Club runs a robust mentoring program all year long, in which we pair mentors and mentees with the goal of promoting academic success for students. These relationships have great results, but are also very fulfilling for the mentors as well.
Our 2018 Young Leaders Committee
- Chair: Jessica Folmer
- Vice Chair: Bo Cassel- Hometown Health
- Communications Officer: Lauren Wrentmore- The Applied Companies
- Secretary: Adam Kiefer-Nevada State Bank
- Treasurer: Jennifer Bozzo – Umpqua Bank
- Christina Cravens-Gardner- St. Mary’s Fitness
- Ericka Sanchez
- Jeffrey Conner-Nevada Attorney General
- Valerie Wagner-Peri & Sons Farms
- Kara Harris- The Row
- Jahaziel Aguilar-DOlan Auto Group
- Cory Hunt-Governor’s Office of Economic Development
- Mat Neben- Whittier Trust
- Cody Besso- Champagne Family Dentistry
- Jules Ackerson-Reno Orthopedic Foundation
- Steve Sheetz- Employers